Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Humility: An Essential Christian Virtue

"God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble" (James 4:6). "But to this one I will look, To him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and who trembles at My word" (Is. 66:2). God is very serious about humility in His people and is actively working to undo the proud and elevate the humble.

Some time ago I was given C.J. Mahaney's little book "Humility: True Greatness; 170 pages, (ISBN 1-59052-326-1). As I read I was both convicted and encouraged in my pursuit of this essential Christian virtue. Mahaney has an easy writing style that is self-effacing and loaded with practical examples and illustrations. The book has a number of very powerful and quotable statements such as "Have you realized that most of your unhappiness in life is due to the fact that you are listening to yourself instead of talking to yourself?" (pg. 69), but for me the best part of the book was its emphasis on the Gospel as the remedy for pride and the seedbed of humility. Mahaney's focus on the cross makes this book very practical in helping to cultivate humility.

I also greatly profited from chapter eight "Identifying Evidences of Grace." This reminder of the need to specifically look for, and communicate to other people the evidences of God's work in their lives, as a means to encourage them to press on, is something that has helped me to relate to my adult children.

If you are looking for something short, accessible and impactful to take on vacation with you this summer - this book is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment